A 20-year old student lost his life when the 10-bedroom apartment in which he was sleeping last night caught fire at Atechem, surburb of Dunkwa-on-Offin, in the Upper Denkyira East Municipality of the Central Region.
Apart from the death, property lost to the fire is estimated to run into tens of cedis.
The deceased, 20, who has been identified as Solomon Johnson Mintah, was trapped by smoke to death.
Remains of the deceased is however, deposited at morgue for autopsy at the Dunkwaw-on-Offin Government Hospital.
The Landlord J. K. Owusu, who spoke to Solar fm’s Mohammed Radiu Dinn Rasko said, the inferno started around 1:30am when tenants were asleep.
He said one tenant who got up at around 2.00am saw the fire emanating from her room and accordingly alerted her neighbours about the situation.
He further said all of the tenants managed to escape in their attempt to stop the fire from further raze except the deceased, who was fast asleep.
Speaking to the mother of the deceased, Grace Ampontuah Mintah said that when Mintah heard of the noise in the midst of the sleep, he could not help himself faster and got trapped by the smoke from the inferno.
The Upper Denkyira East Municipal Fire Safety Officer of the Ghana National Fire Service, John Essel indicated that the exact cause of the fire cannot be immediately established and that his outfit would be investigating the matter.